I have a small kitchen, so I need to make great use of the space I have. I don’t own a lot of appliances and I kinda prefer it that way. I’m of the mind-set that less is more. However, I also, believe in using the right tool for the right job. Below are a few items must haves for the next year. Some items are rather inexpensive, so they won’t require much effort to obtain. Other items will require some creative purchasing.
In the spirit of full disclosure, this is an affiliate link, which means that I may get a commissions if you decide to purchase anything using the links below. I only recommend products & systems that I use and love myself, so I know you’ll be in good hands
- Rolling Pin : Now that I’m making more fresh-baked items using an old pickle jar is become a tad bit old. Plus it would be handy for chopping up nut and making crumbs.
- Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven – If you follow me on Facebook, you know that I destroyed my large cooking pot. I have been eying an enameled cast iron pot for quite some time. I love the way cast iron cooks and I must admit, I love the color.
- Kitchen Island/Cart – My kitchen only has one wall of counter space. So as you can imagine, everything is always in my way. I have a great little corner that will allow for a small island and free up some of my counter space.
- Glass storage – I’m trying to shy away from plastics, even without BPA there seems to still be a lot of questions around the safety of using plastic. I have the many of the mainstay sizes, however I need those awkward little sizes or extra-large sizes for packing lunches and bulk cooking.
- Thick wood chopping board – For a few years, I have been using two cheapy boards. They have just about seen the end of their life. Getting a new board like this one, is more about rewarding myself. I mean look at this board…it’s awesome.
- Tortilla press – It’s hard to find premade packaged tortilla without long list of unnecessary ingredients. Since I love cooking with tortillas I figure the best option would be to make my own. While I could use a rolling pin (see #1 above). I fall back to using the right tool for the right job.
- Bread machine – I would like to perfect making yeast rolls by hand before using a bread machine. I don’t know why, but I think it great to know how to make items without all of the fancy equipment. So this is not so high on my list.
What is the one kitchen item you could not live without?